Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Week 30: Trip Up

                Sometimes the hardest part of being a rider is accepting that sometimes failure happens. This weekend when I loaded Finn onto the trailer for the Starter Event at HPNJ I never thought that I would face the complications that I did. When we got to the show it was already about 80 degrees and the horses seemed exceptionally mellow. I left Finn on the trailer as we ventured out to walk our courses and double check our ride times. Before the day even started the dressage times were running an hour behind and the show jumping was not set. Since the show jumping was not set, we decided to walk cross country and count on the courses being posted later on in the day. The cross country at HPNJ seemed to have a lot more terrain than the cross country at Fair Hill did. I was a little concerned at first, but Finn had been schooling really well so I thought that things would be alright.

                At noon it was finally time for my dressage. After having to get on and off a couple times and having the times continuously pushed back, I was really relieved to be able to ride. This weekend we had to ride Beg. Novice Test A which is much harder than the walk test that I rode at Fair Hill. To my surprise, Finn was fantastic! He used his hind end in his canter and we managed to get our first ever 7! I was also happy to get a 6 on my rider position score. Finn and I still have years of work ahead of us for our dressage but I truly believe that we are on the right road.
                When it came time to jump I was feeling a little nervous. I hadn’t had time to walk my show jumping and because of the time changes I hadn’t had any time to eat during the day. Finn and I poppe dover some warm up jumps and then something really unexpected happened. Two strides after jumping an oxer Finn tripped and I fell off. As he tried to get up he trotted over me, luckily not hitting me head on. The EMT cleared me so I decided to get back on and attempt my course. Half way through I felt very sick and I decided to retire. Before I was through the gate, I got extremely sick.


                Not every show is one that you will win. It is always important to drink water and eat during the day. For me, the show day was a really hard test of my ability to handle stress. In the future I hope that I will improve and Finn and I can avoid days like HPNJ. My next event will be at Carousel Park in DE. My goals are simple for that event. I would like to complete all three phases and go clear for show jumping. 

1 comment:

  1. OMG! Im glad you are ok!!!! When Im out and about or even riding, I make sure I take a break to get something to drink. Im always drinking water or a sports drink of that matter. Sounds like that was a scary fall you had. Glad he didn't hit your head. No one wants to deal with that at a show or schooling. Hope Finn was ok too ;)

    ReplyDelete