Sunday, April 21, 2013

Week 24: Wide Open Spaces

Clear with room to spare!
Finn's jumping form is really starting to improve!

              Two hours after my last blog post, a decision was made: Finn is competing at the introductory level at Fair Hill on May 5th. Although I was excited (jumping up and down), I was also extremely nervous. It has been awhile since I was judged on my performance and I had to accept that with this being Finn’s debut, I might not do very well. Finn’s jumping has improved immensely in the last week, many of my lessons have ended with me skipping up and down the barn isles and singing show tunes because I am so happy. Our flatwork is different. My favorite part of eventing has always been dressage. Nothing in the world can compete with the feeling of a perfectly in sync dance between a horse and rider. Lately though, Finn and I have not felt so beautiful. Our warm-up is always good, there are moments where I swear I can feel every muscle in his body respond to mine, and then comes the lesson. When Finn is nervous he has a tendency to root pretty enthusiastically on the bridle. Up to now we have tried three different bits with very little improvement. Going into the event, this is not very comforting.
We practiced loading on and off a trailer this week!
                Although it is very easy to blame the horse, sometimes as a rider we have to look at ourselves. It is easy to change bits, it is easy to tighten martingales, it is easy to pull as hard as you can on the outside rein when your horse roots that you convince yourself he will listen, but it is hard to change yourself. My dad (best barn dad ever) has videotaped close to every ride I have had with Finn since I bought him and I decided to consult the videos. It seems that the issue with Finn’s head is not curable with magic tack; instead it is cured by me learning how to use my arms. I don’t mean yanking and pulling and tightening, I mean learning how to use my arms and make it look like I’m not using my arms. One of the hardest things about riding is learning how to be soft but still supportive.
                When I started this blog, it was about horse training. It was about taking a horse that was at the end of his career and giving him a new one. I wanted everything to be glorious, everything to be beautiful and everything to follow a schedule. I now realize that for every lesson Finn learns, I must learn one too. There is no horse training without rider training and there is no beauty without a little bit of pain. Going into this event, I must realize that my only goal should be having fun. The last two weeks have been up and down. Finn jumped his first cross country jumps and we have started to improve our flat work. This weekend we will be going cross country schooling and I am sure that will come with its own challenges. Until then, I will continue to work on myself in hopes of helping him. 
               On a positive note, Finn's feet have improved drastically! Look below for pictures of his feet. Note the glue on shoes on his front feet.
right front
left front

right hind
left hind

No comments:

Post a Comment