Thursday, December 27, 2012

Week 8: Finally Sound


                It has been two months since Finn came off of the track and he is officially sound! I took two failed shoeing attempts to relieve the pressure on his p3 bone but it seems that a simple steal shoe with a rim pad is working!
                Now that Finn is sound I have begun my work with him under saddle. We have begun with basic work at the walk; asking him to stretch his neck and loosen his shoulder. From my first ride on him prior to adoption he has been a willing learner, but with extra energy from his time off he is becoming more excitable. I have been working him in a breastplate with a martingale attachment to discourage him from putting his head straight up in the air and he seems to have figured it out quickly 
        Finn is beginning to gain muscle and weight as a result of careful meal planning

              Outside of riding we have also been working on Finn’s nutritional plan. Currently he is getting free choice hay, 2 quarts of hay pellets and a weight gain supplement. The supplement that I have chosen is Cool Calories™. The bonus to this supplement is that is encourages weight gain without providing extra energy. Besides the weight supplement, Finn is also on a mild joint supplement and a hoof supplement. As time goes on I will report on the changes that I see in these areas. 
            As the training begins I am reminded of how well put together this gelding is. His large shoulder and swinging walk (when sound) provide me with a lot to work on! Many who meet him comment on his great appearance and his good mind. I have had a couple advanced level eventers drool over him! 
                 Here is Finn after the rim pads. He is sound but still shows some shoulder stiffness.


Here is Finn with full pads on, three days after the pedal ostetis diagnosis. Notice the head bob and irregular gait. Note: I was asked by the vet to ride him in this video since he will not go on a lunge line and this was the easiest way to see the lameness.

No comments:

Post a Comment